Sunday 7 March 2010

Something for the Germans...


I found some drawings of a Phanomen Granit 25H, which was commonly seen in the variants of Ambulance and large Kubelwagen. Looking into the Kubelwagen, I came across some rather nice versons of the 25H 1.5 tonne trucks, which were used as Kfz.69 light general service, and Kfz.70 light personnel truck, similar in use to the British Morris CS8, Guy Ant and Bedford MWD.
Studying many photographs it seems that the Heer, and SS, were not equipped with that much state of the art transport. There were a few 251 A and B variant halftracks, but in general, the Blitzkreig in the West was made possible by walking, cycling, or riding around in all manner of vehicles from the 1930's. Only with the Schell Programme of 1938 did anyone in the German Military make a concerted effort to standardize the numerous makes of vehicle in use.
I decided that my miniature German armed forces should ride into battle in a number of slightly quirky military vehicles, so I built one. I rather like the manufacturer's name as well. Phanomen Granit sounds much more sophisticated than Horch or Opel.
The near finished article in the photographs has a separate load bed and cab roof. I also made the windscreen and cab windows in thin plastic sheet, framed with thicker plastic. Hopefully the casting process will leave the windows with thin enough resin to cut through, allowing myself and any other lunatic to add clear acetate glazing. This will go off with the K2 to my friend who has the unenviable task of turning these daft things into resin.

2 comments:

  1. I like this one better than the austin,
    wonder if any made their way to the italians..

    definite pulp-feel to it aswell, wonder if there's one in any of the indiana jones flicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a friend? ;). Damn you Ian, your producing more and more vehicles that I want, with no consideration for my very limited budget.

    ReplyDelete